Philip Johnson’s recent design was for a new school of fine arts for Seton Hill College in Greensburg, Pennsylvania.
When Philip Johnson died, Cathedral of Hope in Dallas used his plans for a new school of fine arts at Seton Hill College in Greenburg, Pennsylvania. Philip Johnson’s early work is the Glass House, which is in New Canaan, Connecticut. Philip Johnson’s Glass House is now open to the public. In the glass house, they have many designs of Philip Johnson’s life.
Philip Johnson early work was part of what was called international style modernism. Most of all of Philip Johnson buildings are made of glass. All of his buildings are symmetrical. To me I think some of his buildings look the same. Philip Johnson puts a lot of effort into his art. Like some architects just build just because they can. John Burgee was the only one who could work for Philip. When Johnson died Mr. Burgee was in charge of his designs.
My favorite building by Philip Johnson is the Glass House. I like it because it is square and enough room for fifty people. The Glass House is in the country but it doesn’t look like it belongs there. If I lived in a glass house I would like it because it is different. Its nice but I worry about the sun and privacy. And I think it is beautiful to be able to see nature all the time.
Monday, June 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Actually, the Cathedral of Hope worked closely with Philip starting in 1996 on the new sanctuary plans. It is mostly based on the "Monsta," or Glass House Visitor's Center. Philip called the Cathedral of Hope project "his memorial."
http://www.cathedralofhope.com/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?&pid=218&srcid=305
Post a Comment